10 Ways To Get People To Opt-In To Your Text Program
Getting subscribers to opt-in to your text program requires promoting your keyword and text call-to-action and integrating it with the rest of your marketing channels. If you create a text program and bury information about your text campaign somewhere on your website, your campaign will have little chance of success. Here are some tried and true ways you can build your mobile database and get people to subscribe to your list.
- Create a good reason to join. Give people a good reason for them to text your keyword in the first place. Letting them know they will get “news and updates” won’t go a far as asking them to text for “exclusive breaking news” or “20% off your next purchase.” With TextMarks, you can add an opt-in offer text that is sent out when a person first subscribes to your text program. Sweepstakes and giveaways are also very effective tactics for getting people to subscribe, as it takes very little effort on their part to text to participate in exchange for a chance to win something big.
- Tell people about it! The best way to get subscribers is to tell people about it in person. If you are in front of a large audience giving a presentation or speech, ask the audience to take out their phones and text to get a link to your slides and join your list. If you’re working the cash register, ask your customers to join to get a discount on their next purchase and get first dibs when the newest shipment of goods comes in. If you’re at a trade show booth, ask people to text your keyword so you can followup with your leads the next day. And if you’re enrolling new students, have them sign up on the spot.
- Add it to your email newsletter. Sending out your monthly email newsletter? Be sure to add your text call to action asking people to join. You can either ask them to text to opt-in (“text MYSTORE to 41411 to get great deals”) or add a sign-up form to your email or website where people can enter their phone number to opt in.
- Put it on a billboard or outdoor sign. You may have noticed those highly visible billboards along the freeway promoting the ability to text for emergency room wait times. If you have the budget, billboards can be a great way to attract attention. A memorable short code like 41411 and an easy-to-remember keyword will make it easy for passengers to text as they pass by or drivers to opt-in once they arrive at safe place to do so. If you have a marquis outside your church or school, you can also add your text call-to-action there to get subscribers or leads. And if you’re a big brand, consider using SMS call-to-action on your billboards and signs as a way to make people interact with your brand!
- Use indoor signage. If you are running an SMS marketing campaign, don’t forget to add signs promoting your text program in-store. Place it near the register, or on aisles with a discount for specific products in that section. Add it to your menus if you’re a restaurant, or print it on your receipts. If you want to create a quick flyer or poster, use our free sister service Poster Oven and post your sign up today.
- Promote through radio, TV, YouTube video or podcast. Provide direct-response capabilities to your radio or TV spot, or even your podcasts, by promoting your text campaign at the end. Not only will you be able to measure your marketing spend better, but you’ll grow your mobile subscribers list as well.
- Market on print ads and direct mail postcards. Another great way to add direct-response to your print campaigns is to add a “text MYCOMPANY to 41411” call to action on every printed piece. It’s like adding a QR code, only better, since there is no need to download anything, scan anything, or know how to use barcodes.
- Integrate with social media. Integrating SMS into your social media campaigns is another great way to build up subscribers. Send out a mass text on TextMarks and have it auto-post to Twitter. Or promote your text call-to-action on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest. You can even add our sign-up widget to your Facebook page so people can opt-in directly.
- Make your call-to-action clear! Keep it simple. Ask people to text your keyword to 41411 and let them know what they will get. Don’t add quotes or brackets around your keyword and if possible, show a picture of a phone showing where to type the keyword and where to put in the short code.
- Be patient. Building your mobile database takes time and in most cases, does not happen overnight. Patience and a good strategy of integrating SMS into all your marketing channels are all you need to make your text campaign a success. And some help from a TextMarks Customer Success Manager helps too – so give us a call at 800-696-1393.
If you’re not sure, call your TextMarks Customer Success Manager at 800-696-1393 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to review your advertising materials.